Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Joy of Christmas

I know I haven't posted in pretty much forever, but can I just say that my very most favorite part of the holiday season is the chance to serve others? Even better, the chance to serve them secretly. That's definitely the best. Even better, when I get the opportunity to sacrifice something of my own that may be of great importance to me, and then I get to serve someone secretly and I KNOW it will make them SO happy, and they'll never know it was me. *GRINS* That's my favorite part of the Christmas season.

And here's my life lesson for the day. My amazing visiting teacher shared it with me tonight, and it actually inspired the awesome opportunity I had to do tonight....I guess it's not a "Secret Santa" yet...a "Secret Turkey" maybe?

From President Monson's talk this past conference (In the Nov. 2009 Ensign,):

I have wept in the night
For the shortness of sight
That to somebody's need made me blind;
But I never have yet
Felt a tinge of regret
For being a little too kind
.


And then one of my favorite hymns ever...it really should become our motto for the holiday season if not all year round:

"Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone's burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?"

-Hymn #223


If ever you're feeling a little down in the dumps or gloomy, or just in need of something to make you SO happy, go serve someone...better yet, do it in secret. I promise, you'll always feel better... :) And guess what. That's how we become more like our Beloved Savior, Jesus Christ, of Whom this Christmas season is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment