Thursday, June 7, 2012

Integrity, Honesty, and all that...

This post is intentionally vague... sorry about that. Has to happen when you refer to things that have to do with jobs, careers, etc.




Maybe I'm just young and naive and haven't been out in the world long enough or something,

but I was under the impression that the best way to conduct business, have good interpersonal relationships, be trusted by others, and just to lead a good life over all,

was to be "honest in your dealings with your fellowmen."


Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be common practice anymore...

...even in situations where the majority of the people involved claim to be religious and everything.

I wish I could rant and rave about all the things that are driving me crazy about this right now, but I can't. Sometimes I just don't understand why deception becomes such a habit for people that they lie, even about the most trivial things.

It makes you look like an idiot, frankly. No person can live a perfect lie. For example, when you claim three conflicting things at different points in the same conversation, and swear to each one of them, people around you notice that you're lying.

When you blame all of your mistakes and problems on other people in spite of tangible evidence against you, you look like an idiot.

When you say you understand something simply to get the person explaining to shut up, and then you continue doing things the wrong way, you look like an idiot.

When you argue about something that is fact--mathematical fact, in fact--(with someone who has a degree in mathematics, no less,) and you say that the reason you aren't doing things a certain way is because that someone (with the degree in mathematics) keeps changing what they say is mathematical fact....? You lose any and all credibility...

Yet, somehow... the deception is rewarded...with raises, benefits, trust, praise...

...and, somehow, the rest of us are punished...penalized... or whatever... I don't get it.

Seriously. Maybe I'm just naive or whatever, but how is this okay nowadays?

I've heard Integrity defined as "doing what's right, even when no one's around to watch you".

Has society forgotten about that to the point of not even doing what's right when there ARE people around to watch you?

I hope not. But, I'm afraid so.

I catch glimpses of hope once in a while... for example, last fall someone backed into (and totalled) our car when it was parked. They left a note with all their information and an apology, and it was taken care of.

I may be mistaken, but I have a feeling that all the good business practices and books about building teamwork and whatever, are 100% irrelevant if the people involved don't have integrity.

*shrugs* that's just my rant for the day I guess...

On a happier note, thank you pinterest for this great note to end on. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment