Friday, May 3, 2013

I don't want you to think like me; I just want you to THINK. Road edition.

Source

The question of the century:

Why do people not consider turning on their brains when they get on the road?

Now, I'm not talking about everybody... just the ones that stick out.

Originally this was going to be just about people who don't turn on their brains when they get behind the wheel of a vehicle, but then Women's Conference at BYU began, and after seeing nearly 50 people at different points nearly get smashed by cars because the pedestrians were being STUPID, I'm including them too.


This is what I saw just yesterday on two drives from Provo to Orem and back.
  • DOZENS of people texting WHILE driving in bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic. (I would like to know what makes it a good idea to take all your attention off your car and the cars around you while you are in closer proximity to more moving cars than is possible in any other situation.)
  • Two old women huddled around a phone screen with their noses 4 inches from the screen in this same moving, bumper to bumper traffic. One was the driver, the other was the passenger. 
  • A woman driving 45 mph down State Street (still bumper to bumper traffic) while writing a grocery list or a check or something on her steering wheel. Eyes off the road.
  • A woman tailing me, swerving around me, cutting me off, all while texting. The killer? She had a brand new baby in the back seat.
  • A guy next to me on his phone that nearly side swiped me 3 times because he was swerving all around in his lane. Now, if you can talk on your phone and drive like a normal person, I don't care. I feel that talking is different than texting and all these other things. But, if you can't talk and drive competently, PUT AWAY YOUR FREAKING PHONE.
  • A girl sitting through a whole green light cycle with cars honking all around her...because she was texting. Apparently that's more important than arriving at your destination alive? 
  • About a half dozen cars ZOOMING through the intersection at top speed turning left, only to realize when they got stuck in the middle of the intersection with the lights turning green for the opposite traffic, that they should have paid attention to the fact that there was nowhere for them to go in the first place. 
  • Probably a half dozen cars running red lights.
  • More people than I can tell you texting, both hands off the steering wheel and eyes off the road. It's never the texter that dies in the wreck... always someone else's dad or sister or mom. Is your text THAT important? 
  • A woman with both hands off the steering wheel and eyes off the road eating a plate of food... while driving down state street in the worst rush hour traffic I've ever seen, but still going 40 mph... 
I'm sure there are more examples... but I can't tell you how many times I yelled, "PUT AWAY YOUR FREAKING PHONE." It's not fair to the rest of us that we have to drive so defensively because you can't seem to keep in your own lane as you text "be right there" or something stupid like that.

Now, on to the hundreds of women walkers.

WHEN YOUR WALK LIGHT IS RED AND MY DRIVE LIGHT IS GREEN, STOP WALKING. I DON'T CARE HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE ALREADY IN THE ROAD. IT IS NOT YOUR TURN. IT IS MINE. YOU ARE LUCKY THAT GIANT BLUE TRUCK NEXT TO ME DID NOT HIT YOU ALL. SHE WAS NOT HAPPY THAT WE HAD TO SIT THROUGH OUR ENTIRE LIGHT CYCLE BECAUSE YOU COULDN'T WAIT 15 SECONDS FOR YOU WALKER MAN LIGHT TO APPEAR.  NEITHER WAS I.

IF THERE IS NO CROSS WALK AND NO LIGHT ON THE ROAD, AND THERE ARE  4 WALKING BRIDGES CROSSING THAT VERY SAME ROAD, YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO WALK ON THE WALKING BRIDGE! YOU LOOK RIDICULOUS WHEN YOU THROW YOUR HANDS UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD, ACTING SURPRISED THAT THERE ARE CARS THERE WHERE YOU ARE WALKING! IT IS A ROAD! DO NOT WALK IN FRONT OF ONCOMING CARS AND EXPECT THEM TO STOP FOR YOU! WALKING BY FAITH DOES NOT APPLY WHEN YOU ARE A PEDESTRIAN WHO IS BREAKING EVERY RULE!

That is how I feel. :)

Just turn on your brains people.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment