Wednesday, August 14, 2013

What I think about the Common Core standards for math

I've had a lot of people ask me what I think about the new Common Core Standards for math. I think they are a great attempt at some much-needed standardization and raised expectations for our schools and our students. 

Most of the things I've heard that bash on the Common Core are said by people (politicians, media, etc) who (from the view of one educated and certified to teach mathematics) clearly know little about what they are discussing. 

I support the Common Core standards because I think they provide a strong catalyst for improvement of mathematics education in our schools. They are well thought out and extremely useful. They are not perfect; if we are waiting around for someone to present a perfect solution for all our mathematics education needs we will be waiting indefinitely.

Here's a short video that I think is really useful to answer some of the broader questions people might have about the myths and facts of the new standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment