Sunday, March 18, 2012

Broccoli Salad

I love broccoli salad, but no recipe seems quite right... so I combined a bunch and made my own.

I made it tonight, and no I didn't take a picture, but it was delicious.

Broccoli Salad

2-3 large heads of broccoli (you want there to be at least twice as much broccoli as cauliflower)
1 head of cauliflower
1 red onion, chopped
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup Craisins
1/2 pack of bacon, cooked and crumbled

1/2 cup (plus a bit) white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup light miracle whip
2/3 cup light mayo
Salt and pepper to taste

Chop Broccoli and cauliflower. Don't rush this. Cut it into the size of pieces you'd want to eat. If it's too big people don't like it as much.

Chop the onion and mix it and the other dry ingredients with the broccoli and cauliflower.

Mix the vinegar, sugar, mayo and miracle whip together (a fork works fine) and add a bit of salt and pepper.

Pour the sauce over the salad and stir well. This salad tastes better if it has at least 3 hours to "marinate" before you serve it. The sauce sinks to the bottom though, so stir it once in a while so you don't have dry stuff at the top and sopping wet stuff at the bottom.

This is tasty. I promise. It gets people who don't like one or many of the ingredients to like it. :)

1 comment:

  1. oh that sounds good, and I love Dole Whip too...makes me want to go to Disneyland.

    ReplyDelete