Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Random thoughts (teaching college, books and movies, and baby vs ribs)

Random thoughts, in no particular order.


Teaching College: 

I just got back from teaching a couple of math classes over at UVU this morning. I'm substitute-teaching a few classes this week for someone I know. It's a lot of fun and I enjoy it, which is good considering teaching math is what I've invested the last 6+ years of my life in.

This morning and last night I had some anxiety about it though. Want to know what I was most anxious about? FINDING A FREAKING PARKING PLACE. Lol. As soon as I got there and got a spot and wasn't late or anything, I was good to go! :)


Ribs vs Baby:

If I were carrying this baby any higher he would be living in my throat. That is a bizarre picture. Don't try to picture it. Anyway, my ribs are seriously taking a beating lol. They're so bruised that if I touch them from the outside they hurt, and one rib in particular is popping in and out of place so much (when a certain baby wedges his bum against it and pushes with all his might) that I'm slightly concerned it might not stay in place one of these days.

I was talking to my neighbor today and he said his mother in law carried one of her babies as high as I am, and by the end the baby broke a few of her ribs. Holy cow. *crosses fingers that I've had enough calcium*


Summer ending: 

Truth be told, my life does not look a whole lot different with the change in semesters, or the change from summer to fall. My schedule is the same (work, thesis, keep the house running, tutor, try to get enough sleep, and more work and more thesis). I'm done with all my classes so that's what's happening.

Bryan's schedule, however, will be even busier (if that's possible). The weather is cooling off which really is a godsend for those of us who are 8 months pregnant, and we have a baby coming that we'll need to fit into our schedule, but as of right this moment it doesn't feel so much like anything is changing with school starting this/next week.


Books I finished recently:

The Happiest Baby on the Block. It made me feel far more prepared to have a newborn and know what to do when it's super fussy and I have no idea why. (He talks about the 5 S's. Google it if you want. It makes sense to me.) Whether or not it works 100% of the time, at least now I feel slightly more prepared. I think before my only tool would have been to feed it or say "what in the world is the matter?!" lol. This is a really quick read and DEFINITELY worth reading.



The Alchemist: I'm not sure how I've never read this before, but it was also a quick read. It was very good and quite profound. It seemed like a concise statement on the meaning of life and what it means to try to reach your potential. Worth reading for sure.



Movies we've watched recently:

Non-Stop: We redboxed (now a verb, says I) this movie a few weeks ago. It was actually pretty entertaining and not totally predictable (which is always a plus). It has Liam Neeson (who's always pretty good) and a few other people I like pretty well (like Julianne Moore, Lupita Nyong'o and Michelle Dockery). I think it was definitely worth watching but not necessarily a movie that I feel compelled to go buy or anything.




Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit: I think this is based on a Tom Clancy novel. I really enjoyed it actually. I think there could have been a little more character development (it wasn't totally lacking though). I also think there could have been a bit more plot development in a few places without being excessive at all. But, all things considered, I really enjoyed it. It has a pretty awesome cast (Chris Pine, Keira Knightley, Kevin Costner, and Kenneth Branagh) which made it even more likable. I liked this one better than Non-Stop.



Gravity: I saved this one for last for a few reasons. First, we watched it most recently. Second, I liked it best of the three I've mentioned here. Third, it is incredibly deserving of the many Oscars it won. Fourth, I can't believe it took me this long to see it. :) Anyway, it is pretty amazing. It's a profound and concise statement about the meaning of life. It's one of those movies that sometimes you have to remind yourself to breath during, and then when it ends you sort of just sit there and think and don't have anything to say to do it justice. Very well done. Sandra Bullock nailed it. Definitely worth watching. Definitely one I think I'll buy.




No comments:

Post a Comment