Thursday, January 26, 2012

Red Beans and Rice Stew

As with all goals, if I don't get started right away, I just wait, saying I'll start "tomorrow" for like 700 tomorrows... so I started this goal tonight!

Red Beans and Rice Stew

Not the world's greatest photo...but that's what happens when dinner is ready when it's dark outside and all you have are green bowls. I don't think I'll be able to finish dinner midday when I'm at work or school, so I'll just have to get a white bowl. :)

**Note: Most of the recipes I'll be making out of this book have long lists of ingredients to help develop specific flavor profiles without the use of normal cooking methods (reducing sauces, etc). But, don't let the long list scare you. It's not bad.**

Ingredients

2 onions, minced-- (I used one red onion and one yellow onion because I only had one yellow onion.)
1 celery rib
6 garlic cloves
1 Tbs vegetable oil
2 tsp minced fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried (I used dried)
2 tsp sweet paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, plus extra as needed (I used 3 cans and could have used a bit more)
3 cups water
1 pound dried red kidney beans (about 2 1/2 cups) picked over and salt soaked (see bottom of page)
1 pound andouille sausage, sliced between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick (pick a thickness and be consistent)
2 bay leaves

2 green bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
1/2 cup long-grain white rice (I used jasmine because that's what I have)

Salt and pepper
Red Wine vinegar
Scallions, sliced thin (I didn't have any)

Steps

1. Microwave onions, celery, garlic, oil, thyme, paprika, and cayenne in bowl, stirring occasionally, until softened. This takes about 5 minutes. When done, transfer to slow cooker.  (I prepared all these ingredients (except the oil) the night before and kept it in a tupperware in the fridge because I knew I wouldn't have time to cut it all up before school. I also cut up the  meat and started the beans soaking.)

2.  Stir broth, water, beans, sausage, and bay leaves into slow cooker. Cover and cook until beans are tender, 9 to 11 hours on low, 5 to 7 hours on high. (I let them cook for about 9.5 hours on low.)

3. Let stew settle for a few minutes, remove any excess fat from the top and add any extra broth. Discard bay leaves.

4. Stir in bell peppers and rice. Cover and cook on high until rice is done. (The recipe book says that the rice should take 30-40 minutes. Mine took about 50 minutes. I would wait and add the bell peppers about 20 minutes after the rice.)

5. Serve the soup with additional salt and pepper, and a sprinkling of red wine vinegar on top. (Scallions would also be good but I didn't have any. The vinegar is VERY important. The acid cuts through some of the richness.) 

**Salt Soaking Beans: For every pound of beans, combine 4 quarts of water with 2 Tbs salt and let soak for at LEAST 8 hours. This softens bean skins, which is nearly impossible otherwise at such high altitudes as here in Provo.

 I'm not the world's biggest sausage fan, but it gave this a good flavor. Get spicy sausage unless you really can't handle it. It's good. This is pretty hearty and pretty tasty. I'm sure it won't be my favorite of the recipes I try, but I think I'd make it again. If you like sausage or are a big fan of cajun flavor combinations and all that, you'll love this

No comments:

Post a Comment