Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Happy Pi Day!

Yes, I'm a math nerd. I celebrate these things. :)

3.14159....

That's all I remember off the top of my head. 6 digits.


I also celebrated Pi minute. :)


Someone at the celebrations on campus recited 900 digits from memory. Holy cow.

To celebrate, I got my pi day shirt. :)


Do you even know what pi is? 

Is the ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle. 

That means that if I am given the circumference of any circle and divide it by the diameter of that same circle, it will always equal the number pi.

Want to know some random facts about pi? I knew you would. In fact, I have a book called The Joy of Pi that gives some great ones.

The sequence 123456789 first appears at the 523,551,502nd digit.

The first 144 digits of pi add up to 666.

Joke: What is pi?
Mathematician: Pi is the number expressing the relationship between the circumference of a circle and its diameter.
Physicist: Pi is 3.1415927 plus or minus 0.000000005
Engineer: Pi is about 3

You can determine your hat size by measuring the circumference of your head, then divide by pi, and round off to the nearest one-eighth inch.

Happy 3.14159.... day everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment